Camp Dinner: Sweetwater Spaghetti with Burst Tomatoes and Sorrel
Nothing satisfies quite like a hot n’ hearty meal after a long day out on the trail. Alite’s resident camp chef, Anne Assassi has got this simple take on a tasty pasta dish that makes for an ideal camp dinner. Anne specializes in crafting easy-to-make, nourishing recipes that you can prepare and enjoy in the outdoors. You can whip up this burst tomato and sorrel number with little more than your camp stove, a pot and a skillet on your next weekend campout!
Bonus: this recipe easily makes enough grub for a crowd if you feel like sharing!
Feeling hungry and or inspired? For more healthy and delicious food experiences, visit Anne's website, Diet Assassinista.
Sweetwater Spaghetti with Burst Tomatoes and Sorrel
AT A GLANCE
- Serving Size: 4-6
- Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 cup sorrel, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup grana padano cheese
STEPS TO SUCCESS
- Bring a pot of boiling salted water to a boil.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions until al dente, about 9 minutes.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water, drain pasta and set aside.
- Add bacon to a skillet or Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Sautee until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the grape tomatoes and season with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp black pepper. Stir tomatoes occasionally, until they burst, about 10 minutes.
- Return pasta to the pan, and add reserved cooking liquid a couple tablespoons at a time if dry.
- Stir in sorrel and grana padano.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with additional grana padano if desired.