Camp Dinner: Chipotle Spiced Veggie Tacos
We like to eat with our hands! Few food delivery systems are as simple and convenient as a tasty corn tortilla (or flour, if that’s your thing). That’s why camp tacos in all their varied and delicious forms, are one of our favorite outdoor meals. Check out this new mouthwatering vegetarian take on the camp taco from Alite Chef, Anne Assassi. This recipe is super quick and rewarding, just don’t forget to pack your can opener!
Notes: These tacos require so little energy to make, you can put them together even if you’re a few celebratory beers deep after a long hike or trail run.
Feeling hungry and or inspired? For more healthy and delicious food experiences, visit Anne's website, Diet Assassinista.
Chipotle Spiced Veggie Tacos
AT A GLANCE
- Serving Size: 4
- Prep Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
- Olive oil 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans
- 2 whole canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced, reserving 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1/3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/3 cup cilantro, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Chipotle Tabasco
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- 1 spring onion, whites and greens finely chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
STEPS TO SUCCESS
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add kidney beans, chipotles chilies, reserved adobo sauce, and stir occasionally until warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in queso fresco, 1/3 cup cilantro, and Tabasco.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet, add enough olive oil to liberally coat the bottom of the pan.
- Heat oil to medium-high heat and add tortillas, one at a time, cooking for 30-60 seconds on each side until crisp.
- Blot tortillas on paper towels and keep warm.
- To the same skillet or a small egg pan, crack 1-2 eggs into the pan at a time, spooning oil over the whites. Fry until the whites are firm, but the yolks are still runny.
- Transfer eggs to a large plate and keep warm.
- Serve tortillas on plates, topping with kidney bean mixture followed by spring onions and additional cilantro and queso fresco if desired.
- Squeeze over with lime wedges and top each taco with a fried egg!