Muir Woods - Hike Destination
With over six miles of trails and the sweet smells of redwoods and wet ferns, Muir Woods is one of our favorite places to go take a hike.
It's just a hop, skip, and a jump over the Golden Gate Bridge, and we highly encourage weekday escapes here (the weekend gets a little nuts for parking, unfortunately). There is a public paid parking lot directly off Muir Woods Road. And for the car-impaired, Marin Transit offers a convenient $5 shuttle service to Muir Woods from the Sausalito Ferry.
There are plenty of looped trail hike options to get you going! They range from .5-hour loops, 1.0 hour loops, 1.5 hour loops and longer hikes into the Mount Tamalpais State Park perimeter.
Mount Tamalpais State Park is a hikers dream! Keep it casual and stroll around the massive redwood trees, or take the Dipsea Trail all the way down to Stinson Beach. There are over 50 miles of hiking trails to explore in this area and between the ancient trees, diverse wildlife, and stunning ocean and city views, every route here is the scenic route. Bring appropriate footwear, some of these trails get steep and are rutted with roots.
- Muir Woods is Fresh Air Club Approved, so go check it out and earn your Hike Activity merit patch
- Stop at the Pelican Inn on the way out (or the way in)
- Take a cold plunge at nearby Muir Beach
- Bikes are allowed only on designated fire roads
- Pick up a dollar map at the visitor center before you get started!