John McLaren Park
Golden Gate Park gets all the attention here in SF, but we’d like to spread the love. Did you know that John McLaren Park is the second largest park in San Francisco, is dog friendly, golfer friendly, and features over 7 miles of walking/hiking trails?! BOOM!
John McLaren Park is located in the southeastern area of the city, and is surrounded by the Portola, Excelsior, and Crocker-Amazon neighborhoods. This is one of Alite's favorite parks, and that's why it's highlighted in our Fresh Air Club HIKE section as an option to earn your Hike merit patch. The best kept secret about McLaren Park is the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater. This amazing outdoor music venue was named after the illustrious Grateful Dead singer/guitarist Jerry Garcia, who was actually a native to the Excelsior District.
- Over 7 miles of hiking/walking trails
- Children's Playground
- Several picnic areas ready for any/all your BBQ needs
- Coffman pool access
- A diverse ecosystem of native plants, wildlife, grasslands, meadows, wetland habitat, and McNab Lake
- Birding paradise
- The strong scent of Eucalyptus groves are prominent and balancing
- Stunning views of the city and surrounding neighborhoods
- Stay tuned for music and performances at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater
- Fresh Air Club (FAC) Approved! Earn your Park merit patch by heading here today...